Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Miss Me?

I know I haven't even left yet, but many of you promised to write and/or send me something. Plus, if you write to me, you will make me VERY happy. Think of how sad you'd be if you went to the other side of the world and no one from home even sent you a birthday card (January 11). It makes my day to get a real letter here in the U.S. You'll be my Favorite Person of the Day if I receive a letter from you while I'm in Madagascar. Anyway, here are a few thoughts and ideas based on what I've heard from other volunteers.

1. Don’t send anything in a regular envelope that doesn’t feel like a letter…I most likely will not get it. Send it in one of those padded envelopes; I’ve heard they work the best.

2. If you send a postcard, put it in a plain envelope because the pretty picture on the postcard will make it more appealing to those prone to have sticky fingers.

3. I’ve read that writing religious phrases such as “Jesus Saves” or “God is Love” helps your letters arrive. My theory: the potential thief is much more aware of the naughty act he is committing if there is a reminder of God on the envelope.

4. This is a tough one since I've heard different opinions. If you fill out one of those custom forms that lists what’s in the package you are sending, do not write the real price of things…the more an item costs and the higher the price listed on the package, the more likely it will be stolen. Some people suggested writing “gift” on the form instead of what was actually in the package…I’m not sure this would fool anyone, especially the postmaster who wants to know exactly what is being sent. So, just write general terms on the custom forms…don’t be too specific and don’t put the real price of anything. Then again, some people say to tell exactly what is in the package on the custom form in order to make it easier and avoid delaying your package in customs because they can’t tell what’s in it.

Is anything in this world 100% black/white, yes/no? Just flip a coin and see what happens. Or better yet, if your last name begins with A-L, correctly label your custom forms; M-Z, please list general terms only and keep the cost low on the forms. We'll experiment and see what works best. Anyone have a hypothesis…?

5. If you send me shoes (I’m not even gone yet, I know. And please don't send me shoes unless I ask:), send one at a time. The thieves are less likely to steal if there is only one shoe, and if they do steal, they still only get one…

6. My mom asked the postmaster how much Airmail would cost to Madagascar and he said 94 cents.

I wonder if anyone has sent me a letter already so that I have mail waiting for me when I get there...? 4 1/2 days and a wake up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you Kinsey Jo.

Anonymous said...

My sister just left this morning for her orientation in Philly and then is on to Madagascar...sounds like she and Kinsey might be meeting up...It's nice to know there are other people on the homefront! Good luck Kinsey!

Mallery said...

I miss you already, even though you haven't made it to PA yet. I'm proud of you and love you. See you in Madagascar!