Sunday, June 8, 2008

Misaotra

Misaotra means 'Thank you' in Malagasy. And I want to thank all of you who have supported me with my PC journey so far. I've told several of you this, but again, I could not make this journey without all of the support and love from my family and friends. I had a post all typed up and saved on my flash drive, but the computer in this hotel room (yes, we all have a computer in our rooms with free wireless Internet) will not let me open my document for safety purposes, AND wireless is not free at the Traverse City airport where I originally typed it. Oh the pains of wireless...what will Madagascar bring??

So, we've finished our first day of Pre-Service Training in Philadelphia...paperwork, ice-breakers, formal information about PC and Madagascar, sharing anxieties and aspirations. In a few minutes, I'm meeting up with some of my fellow trainees to get some dinner, during which we will all take our first dose of anti-malaria medication. It looks like I only have to take mine once a week. Others have to take it daily based on their medical needs. Hopefully, I don't get nightmares from it. We will not receive any more shots until we get to Madagascar.

Some other interesting info. from the day:
*There is another PC group here getting ready to go to Burkina Faso.
*There are 26 trainees in my group, including me--8 boys, 18 girls.
*On any given day in Madagascar there are approximately 140 PCVs and 30 PC staff members.
*Around 3 groups of trainees head to Madagascar each year, so there will be some people leaving soon after we arrive and more coming later on in the year.

More later; I need to eat. Plus, my head needs a break. I'm on overload with all of the different emotions and new information. I LOVE YOU ALL!

~Kinsey

7 comments:

Mallery said...

1.5 days down, approximatley 819.5 to go. Can we have a word of the day from now on? Love you and miss you already!

mom said...

It was great to hear your voice tonight. I'm with mallery let's have a word of the day. Love and miss you already. Miss your smiling face. But am so proud of you.

lynndro said...

you lady, are amazing. Please keep an eye on plane ticket prices because if it gets reasonable you are much more likely to have a Lynn package than silly little letter :-) PS. did you take a cd player/mp3/listening to music device?

best wishes mrs. timberlake!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU!!! i hope all is going well deary and you are finding some hot south-african men to hit on :) b/c i know that is why you joined the PC...secretly :) MUAH!

Erin said...

Hi Kinsey, It's Quinn. My mom just showed me your website. Are you having a good time? I hope so. The pig roast was really cool. Mrs. Becky even got me a shirt. Your sister was there. I helped her set up things. We all miss you.

Unknown said...

Hellooooo Kinsey, I sure do hope no spiders or mosquitos know your there yet, Cuz the dumb tent thing is backordered, so I ordered it from someone else. I have to ship it to you cuz no one seems to be able to. So when I recieve it I'll write you then mail it at the same time and see what happens. I think about you all the time so remember besides all of your family strange people like me are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep smiling they'll all love you. Don't let the bugs know you don't have a net yet. Love you Peggy

grandma said...

It was so good to talk to you on the telephone. Hearing your voice made me feel closer to you. Thank you for the letter. Miss and love you so much.