Friday, November 13, 2009

Second Time Around

Tomorrow I will embark on the second act of my Peace Corps Madagascar journey. I will depart home and the yellow dinosaur with dad, mom and Mal in the new (gently used) motorhome dad and mom will vacation in this winter.

I leave Traverse City at 8 am and have a layover in Detroit where I'll meet up with two PCV friends and fly to D.C. We'll meet up with the rest of the 11 returning volunteers and 4 Peace Corps Response Volunteers (they've already served in PC and will help out in Mcar for a shorter time). We fly out of D.C. after 5 pm and will arrive in South Africa 17 hours later...ugh. One night's stay there and then we'll fly to Tana on November 17th.

Although I am sad that I will not be returning to my original site, Anosibe An' Ala, I am looking forward to many new adventures in Mahanoro. The biggest difference between my old and new site will be the toilet and running water that I will have this time. While I am not excited to be classifed as "Posh Corps" because of these luxuries, I know I will be thankful every time I have stomach issues.

Mahanoro is on the East Coast just south of Vatomandry. I will be able to walk to the beach! And have fresh sea food whenever I want:) Feel free to come visit me.

Just like last time, I will be teaching English in the middle school. This time I will also be teaching in the high school. Since I served nine months before we were evacuated, I have about 15 months left of my service.

I'll keep you all updated as much as possible and my sister and mom will update this blog when I call them. Thank you for your support so far. Watch out Madagascar. Here I come!

2 comments:

Mallery said...

You should be in Madagascar by now...I miss you already! Mal

East said...

Im so excited the blog is back up and running. :) Love you friend. Your amazing. Remember to smile. :) ps.